Friday, June 6, 2014

How I got here

How I got here, to be an acupuncture/herbal student at ACCHS is a looooong story, but to abbreviate, I will say that it started with a love of all things East, derived from a serious dissatisfaction with most things West.  And organized religion.  Around 20 years ago, there were several synchronous events that happened in that time, it seemed that all of the people I met were part of this other philosophy, I was handed the Tao Te Ching and never looked back.  Here was a reasonable and poetic way to make sense of the world.  I suddenly found so much beauty in my hardships.  I studied marketing and multinational business in my undergrad, moved to Atlanta and became an outside sales rep for a telecommunications company.  I hated it.  I hated marketing and corporate America.  I was too sensitive for that world.  So I did my work, but the beauty was that I had my days "free" to do cold calls in the field.  This was great because I was able to do a couple of hours of work, and then go see movies, go to bookstores, have lunch with friends.  It wasn't until one day, I was in a bookstore walking around and literally, a book flew off the shelf in front of me and fell to the floor with the pages down and butterflied open to somewhere in the center of the book.  I carefully picked it up and saw the book was something like Professions in Healing, and the page open was "Acupuncturist".  Well, I had just been reading about acupuncture as I was engrossed in this book called "The Tao of Health, Sex, And Longevity".  My boyfriend at the time had passed it on to me, he was a martial artist, we did Tai Chi and Qi Gong together.  Next thing I know, I'm trying acupuncture, and it changed my life.  I was immediately tapped into a deeper awareness of everything.  That was 14 years ago, and I did go to a school in Seattle for 2 years that went bankrupt.  I chose not to continue until now.  


No comments:

Post a Comment