Saturday, July 5, 2014

Consciousness, chaos, and fractals

Yes, I'm familiar with the concept of "ordered chaos".

Life is undoubtedly chaotic.  There is always something to do, someone to see, a problem to work out, a job to go to, futures to plan, pasts to reconcile.  Vacillating between doing too much and not enough.  Pressure...need to meditate more, eat less sugar, exercise more, find a partner, get married, have kids, travel, achieve, grow, actualize, create, don't forget to eat, sleep, do laundry, pay the bills, request time off, study, call your mother, call your sister, don't forget to send a card to grandmother.  Time is ticking, you only have one life to live, you can sleep when you're dead.  Think about it too much and you might go insane.  Think about it too little and you might regret it.  I tend to create a kind of ordered chaos by organizing my thoughts (taking control of my mind, planning a time to think about something rather than dwelling on it) and my schedule.  But what happens when I let go of my system and give the reigns to chaos?  I still do what I need to do, I just do less.  This isn't always desirable, but it does remind me that mostly, the chaos is in my brain, not my life. ;-)

Fractals

Fractals are defined as "geometrical shapes whose structure is such that magnification by a given factor reproduces the original object."  Reduce a snowflake to its smallest part and it still looks like a snowflake.   If this is the case, maybe we are the bacteria that inhabit the earth, much like bacteria populate out bodies.  And Earth is a system, maybe a cell in our solar system, and our solar system is an organ in our galaxy, our galaxy is a system, a collection of galaxies makes up our universe--one giant (to us) organism...which is maybe just one small organism in a super-world of other universe-organisms.  Maybe our universe is just the bacteria in another organism?





2 comments:

  1. Wow, you really hit the nail on the head with your description of daily chaos and how we try to organize it! I can totally relate. I also try to manage my own "chaos" in a similar way--you can only bite off bits and pieces in manageable chunks, otherwise you can choke to death. I think your daily mental hygiene for organizing chaos sounds very healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Chris--I love your term "daily mental hygiene". :-)

      Delete